Located on the southeast side of Lake Biwa, this ancient shrine is old enough to have been mentioned in the kojiki Built during a time when Buddhism and Shinto were both flourishing, it contains both a Buddhist temple and Shinto shrine. The garden here was constructed by Toyotomi Hideyoshi in the Tensei era (1573-1591) as an offering for the recovery of his wife from illness. It is located next to the study (shoin) attached to the Shrine offices (shamusho). It includes a stone bridge and a sanzon stone arrangement.
The shrine is also notable for a harvest festival (hokenko shuki taisai)held around the end of November. It starts around 11:00. The site is a 20 minute walk from Taga Station, Omi Tetsudo Line (JR), or a bus from JR Minami Hikone Station, Biwako Line.
The awaited one's footsteps
Heard afar off;